If you’ve been in an accident, have been driving in a heavily polluted area, or just want to give your car a good deep cleaning, a professional vehicle decontamination service can help! A decontamination service will clean the entire exterior and interior of your vehicle, as well as remove any hazardous material that may be present.
What is a Vehicle Decontamination Service and what do they do?
A vehicle decontamination service is a company that specializes in the cleanup and disinfection of vehicles that have been exposed to hazardous materials. This can include chemical spills, biological agents, or radioactive materials.
The technicians at a Vehicle Decontamination Service will first identify the type of hazardous material that has contaminated the vehicle. They will then proceed to clean and disinfect the entire vehicle using specialized equipment and chemicals. Finally, they will test the vehicle for any remaining traces of hazardous material.
Why you might need a Vehicle Decontamination Service?
A vehicle decontamination service is necessary if you want to rid your car of all the harmful contaminants. These contaminants can include everything from bacteria and viruses to heavy metals, pesticides, and fuel residues.
If you don’t have a vehicle decontamination service performed on a regular basis, then all of these contaminants will eventually build up and start to affect the performance and reliability of your car. They can also cause long-term damage to your health, so it’s important to get them cleaned out as often as possible.
What is the Vehicle Disinfection Process We Recommend?
Has your vehicle been exposed to illness or germs? Did you leave the windows open while it was raining and now you can’t get rid of that musty or mildew smell? You might choose to disinfect your car yourself.
When choosing products to disinfect your car, truck, van, RV or boat, consider Common Sense surface disinfectant available in a car sanitizing aerosol bomb that not only covers the surfaces in your vehicle, but also travels through the HVAC system to clean and protect those components as well. If you have a fleet of vehicles to clean, or a large vehicle like a bus, RV or camper, you may choose to use our disinfect and protect kit which creates a fine spray of product that coats all the surfaces to form a long lasting protective barrier that kills germs, viruses and bacteria for up to 3 months.
If you choose to use a typical spray bottle instead of a fogger or aerosol to apply the cleaning product, use the following method to disinfect and decontaminate your vehicle. Here is a typical checklist for cleaning and decontaminating a vehicle.
COLLECT SUPPLIES TO GET READY
- Spray bottles of Common Sense surface cleaner or another alcohol based cleaner; non-alcohol cleaner for leather
- Paper towels or microfiber towels
- Disposable gloves, trash bags, alcohol based hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes.
- Face mask
READY TO CLEAN – CREATE A SANITIZED SPACE
- Focus on common touch points places that are contacted the most. Wipe down with cleaner sprayed on paper towels and let air dry. Wear gloves to protect your hands and wear a mask.
- Clean the door, the locks, the window switches, and the armrests. Wipe down door handles inside and out.
- Wipe down the key fob or keys and steering wheel.
- Change out the towel for a clean towel.
- Wipe the dashboard and make sure you clean the vents on the dashboard.
- Change out the towel for a clean towel.
- Wipe down the gear shift, turn signal and any other levers. Wipe down the start button or key location. Wipe down the steering column.
- Change out the towel for a clean towel.
- Touch screens should be cleaned. Avoid ammonia based products as they will destroy the screen.
- Wipe down radio knobs, CB radio knobs and microphone. Any dials that you touch.
- Wipe down drink holders and storage locations.
- Replace the used towel with a fresh one.
- Wipe down the seatbelts, seat adjustment levers or buttons.
- Lightly spray down the cloth seats, do not saturate, or spray and wipe the seat if vinyl. If the seats are covered in leather, wipe them down and remember to condition the leather so it does not crack.
- Lightly spray down the headliner and carpets.
- Repeat in the back seat or storage area behind the seats. Including the backs of the front seats as well.
- Any equipment that stays with the vehicle should be wiped down.
- Don’t forget the gas cap when filling the vehicle or the hood latch when checking fluids. Use a wipe on the gas pump screens and handles.
SAFETY FIRST – REMOVE GLOVES AND DISPOSE OF TRASH
- Remove gloves by turning inside out and throw away the trash bag(s) with gloves and paper towels.
- Until they can be washed, keep microfiber towels in a sealed plastic bag.
- Wash hands for 40 seconds using the CDC guidelines.
- For instructions on removing and storing face masks safely, consult the CDC.
How to Choose the Right Vehicle Decontamination Service
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right vehicle decontamination service. First, you’ll want to make sure that the company has experience decontaminating vehicles. This is important because you want to be sure that they know what they’re doing and will be able to do a thorough job.
Second, you’ll want to ask about the process that they use for decontaminating vehicles. Make sure that they use a multi-step process that includes both cleaning and disinfecting the vehicle. This is important in order to ensure that all of the germs and bacteria are removed from the vehicle. Finally, you’ll want to ask about pricing. Decontamination services can vary in price, so it’s important to find one that fits your budget.
A professional vehicle decontamination service is a great way to keep your car clean and free of any hazardous materials. By choosing the right service and having it performed on a regular basis, you can keep your car running smoothly and protect your health in the long run.
The benefits of using a professional Vehicle Decontamination Service
There are a number of benefits to using a professional Vehicle Decontamination Service. This is especially true if you have a fleet of vehicles or a large or complex decontamination project.
For example, as seen in this video, our company, Microbe Solutions, LLC, provided vehicle decontamination services to Ocean County Public Works in New Jersey to clean busses during the pandemic to limit cross contamination and stop the spread of illness among the public and staff.
A professional Vehicle Decontamination Service can also help to extend the life of your vehicle by protecting it from the build-up of harmful contaminants. This is especially important if you live in an area with a lot of pollution, if you prioritize reducing the spread of germs or communicable disease, are concerned about mildew or moisture problems in your vehicles, or if you frequently drive in dusty or dirty conditions.
Products Used by Vehicle Decontamination Services
There are a number of common chemicals used by vehicle decontamination services. Some of the most common include:
Common Sense Surface Disinfectant:
This is the most effective and least caustic antimicrobial product used to disinfect vehicles. The product is non-toxic, colorless and odorless. It doesn’t stain or leach. This product bonds to surfaces and creates an antimicrobial coating that provides long lasting protection against bacteria, viruses, mold, mildew and fungi.
A colorless gas with a pungent odor; used as a cleaning agent and to produce fertilizers
A strong alkali that is widely used as a disinfectant and whitener; found in many household cleaners
Substances such as sandpaper, steel wool, or scouring pads that are used for cleaning or polishing surfaces
Ammonia, bleach and other dust and debris from abrasive agents can be hazardous if not handled properly. It is important to always read the safety instructions before using any chemical and to always wear the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
A professional Vehicle Decontamination Service can help get your cars, trucks, buses, RVs, campers or boats clean and free of any hazardous materials. By choosing the right products and/or professional services and having vehicle disinfection performed on a regular basis, you can keep your car running smoothly and protect your health as well as your passengers.